While I'm all about convenience and making meals fast, there are a few shortcuts that I prefer not to make - but cutting out all the recipes that involve Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup etc would be a shame (because some of them are awesome comfort foods), especially when there is a healthier way to achieve the same result!
I make double batches of this, and freeze in 1.5 Cup portions - so I have it on hand whenever I need it.
Source: Adapted from Stephanie Cooks
Note: This can be made vegetarian by subbing chicken broth for vegetable broth (do I get an award for stating the obvious, or something?)
Yields 3 cups of soup (1.5 cups is the equivalent of one can of soup)
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced very fine
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 1/2 cups milk (divided)
3/4 cup flour
- In medium-sized saucepan, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the together the broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings and bring to the boil.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour and add while whisking the boiling mixture and continue whisking until mixture boils and thickens.
- Cool, and use as directed in your favourite recipe
- Cool, and freeze in 1.5 cup portions (I do this in plastic freezer bags and freeze them flat for easier thawing)