I'm well and truly on the quinoa bandwagon. It's something we only tried recently, but it's become a favourite in our household. I love the flavor of it, and the fact that it packs a decent nutritional punch is a major bonus.
I threw these together on a Saturday afternoon while the boys napped - and think they're delicious. Looking forward to adding them to my lunch bag!
Source: Adapted from Superhealthy Kids
QUINOA COCONUT GRANOLA BARS
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup 7 grain cereal or oats (not the quick kind)
- 1/2 cups coconut
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 3 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a ceramic or glass 9X13 inch baking dish (or use a brownie pan like I did)
- Spread oats and quinoa on a cookie sheet and toast in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Return mixture to a large bowl and add coconut, and dried cranberries.
- In a medium saucepan, combine salt, peanut butter, honey, molasses, oil, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and immediately remove from heat.
- Pour over oats mixture and combine until dry ingredients are evenly coated. Pour into baking dish.
- Press mixture down into pan. Bake for 20 minutes, watching carefully – they burn easily. If using a brownie pan, check on them at about 10 mins. Once they are browned on the edges, take them out.
- Let cool, and serve.