Although I'm not at all adverse to using frozen chicken nuggets. Sure, I buy the "good kind", but I love making my own and being able to add in a few things to boost their nutritional value.
These I made ahead and kept in the fridge ready for a quick dinner during the week.
If making them for little ones, go easy on the salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. H loved them (eventually), but the husband said "tastes like thanksgiving... in a nugget" which I can see! (hey, maybe I'll add cranberries and green beans next time to complete the theme! ha)
Source: adapted from onehandedcooks.com.au
CHICKEN, WHITE BEAN & SWEET POTATO NUGGETS
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 2 cups crushed cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Boil the sweet potato and beans until soft, and set aside.
- In a food processor, process the onion until finely chopped. Add the chicken breast and process until a mince texture forms. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the sweet potato, beans, spices and herbs to the chicken mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place your cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs in a bowl
- Take teaspoon amounts of chicken mixture and roll into balls. Dip in the crumbs.
- Place on the baking tray, flatten to form a nugget, and continue with the remaining mixture.
- Lightly brush the nuggets with olive oil, or spray using an oil mister
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until the chicken in cooked through (165°F)