Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, July 14, 2014

Baked Chicken Chimichangas


Chimichangas are rumored to have originated right here in Arizona (in Tucson), and are a popular dish here. They're typically deep fried, but I baked these and they were proclaimed "the best chimichanga I ever ate". I have no idea how many chimis the husband has eaten, but I'll take that as a compliment!

I was a little concerned that the tortillas would bust apart, or not adhere right, but they did and it was awesome.

SUPER filling, I could only eat one, the husband ate two, and my Mum ate most of hers, but had to pass the rest off to the husband to finish (so kind of him to help her out, right?). I did add a can of black beans, extra seasonings, and fresh cilantro to our mixture 

I could have served rice, beans and guacamole with them, instead I cut up some avocado, slathered it in sriracha and sour cream and called it "done"

This recipe made 6 large chimichangas - I hope you make these and enjoy them as much as we did!

Adapted from: Menu Managed

BAKED CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS

INGREDIENTS:

  • 8oz pkg. cream cheese (easier to work with at room temp - a 30 second blast in the microwave will speed things up)
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 tsp crushed red peppers (chili flakes for the Aussies/Kiwis)
  • 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 lb. cooked chicken, shredded
  • 6 flour tortillas (burrito sized)
  • olive oil/cooking spray
Optional:
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • green onions 
  • sour cream
  • salsa 
  • sriracha (or other hot sauce)
  • sliced black olives
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Combine cream cheese, cheese, and seasonings.
  2. Fold in beans and chicken.
  3. Add about a cup of mixture to each tortilla, fold in the sides, and roll up.
  4. Lay seam side down in a baking dish or baking stone.
  5. Spray tops of tortillas with olive oil in a mister, or use cooking spray. You could just brush it on too.
  6. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
  7. Turn chimis over, and bake an additional 15 minutes
  8. If using, flip the chimis over, and add some cheddar cheese and broil for a few minutes until cheese melts.
  9. Garnish with green onions, sour cream, salsa, sriracha, olives- whatever you like!

4 comments:

  1. You should have sent the leftovers to me! I love that these are baked, not fried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should just come over for dinner.

      And bring dessert :)

      Delete
  2. These look really delicious Kylee, fast and easy for week night meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup! I need things to be fast on a weeknight for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited whenever anyone comments. Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...