I was a little concerned that the tortillas would bust apart, or not adhere right, but they did and it was awesome.
SUPER filling, I could only eat one, the husband ate two, and my Mum ate most of hers, but had to pass the rest off to the husband to finish (so kind of him to help her out, right?). I did add a can of black beans, extra seasonings, and fresh cilantro to our mixture
I could have served rice, beans and guacamole with them, instead I cut up some avocado, slathered it in sriracha and sour cream and called it "done"
This recipe made 6 large chimichangas - I hope you make these and enjoy them as much as we did!
Adapted from: Menu Managed
BAKED CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS
- 8oz pkg. cream cheese (easier to work with at room temp - a 30 second blast in the microwave will speed things up)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers (chili flakes for the Aussies/Kiwis)
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 can black beans
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, shredded
- 6 flour tortillas (burrito sized)
- olive oil/cooking spray
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions
- sour cream
- sriracha (or other hot sauce)
- sliced black olives
- Combine cream cheese, cheese, and seasonings.
- Fold in beans and chicken.
- Add about a cup of mixture to each tortilla, fold in the sides, and roll up.
- Lay seam side down in a baking dish or baking stone.
- Spray tops of tortillas with olive oil in a mister, or use cooking spray. You could just brush it on too.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Turn chimis over, and bake an additional 15 minutes
- If using, flip the chimis over, and add some cheddar cheese and broil for a few minutes until cheese melts.
- Garnish with green onions, sour cream, salsa, sriracha, olives- whatever you like!