The basic premise is, you brown the beef, and add the packet of stuff and some water/milk and then you have ... dinner?
The husband loves this stuff. Grew up eating it. If you know me at all, you'll know that I read labels on boxes of stuff like this, and I just can't say I'd be jazzed about serving this to my family. I'm sure once in a while it's fine, but I just... can't. Way too many things I can't pronounce and some that I can pronounce, but don't really want to eat.
However, the husband wants what the husband wants. Since I'm a fabulous wife and all ... I decided it can't REALLY be that hard to create a homemade (and therefore less scary) version, right?
I actually enjoyed this. Sure, there are no vegetables in it, so I had to get over that (and you could easily add them), but it was really tasty. The best part was - it was all made from things I already had in the pantry/fridge, and came together REALLY fast. I've half a mind to make up little bags of it, with instructions on the front so the husband can make this when he "needs" this comfort food (or for when I have a newborn, toddler and am recovering from childbirth, perhaps?)
I may mess with/change up the spices and amounts next time, but thought this was a pretty good first attempt. It's probably a cross between "cheeseburger macaroni" and "lasagna"
The husband? Loved it. Thought it was "better than the box".
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 cups macaroni, or any pasta shape you have lying about
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown beef until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain any fat.
- Add the pasta, milk, water and spices and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 8 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Add the cheese and mix thoroughly.