Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, December 27, 2013

Cottage Pie


It's a little surprising to me that I haven't posted this before. It's a very simple recipe, you can make it ahead and bake on a busy night, or you can make extra (recipe includes extra) and freeze some portions for later. I grew up eating it, so I can probably credit my Mum for this one.

I still call it "shepherd's pie" but the true definition of shepherd's pie is that it contains ground lamb. Cottage pie is the ground beef version. I don't care what you call it!

You can adapt it to whatever you have on hand (leftover sweet potatoes? good! add peas instead of beans? SURE!!)

I like this because it's a one dish dinner that feeds the hungry husband, the toddler and me with no complaints.

Like complaints are even accepted at my house anyway. HA.

Right, here's how it works

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2lb (1kg) ground beef
  • 1 large onion (or two smaller ones)
  • 3 carrots, cut into slices, or diced. You choose
  • 2 Tbs tomato paste
  • 2 tsp thyme
  • 2 Cups beef stock (you can use chicken, no worries)
  • 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 Cup frozen veges of your choice (peas, beans, corn, anything you want)
  • salt/pepper

  • 2TBs cornstarch (regular flour works too) blended with
  • 1/4 Cup water

  • 2lb potatoes
  • butter, milk, salt & pepper for mashing


OPTIONAL: cheese for the top

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Brown beef in a large saucepan or dutch oven, drain oil
  2. Add onions and carrots, and cook until onion is soft
  3. Add tomato paste, thyme, stock, worcestershire and soy sauces and salt/pepper to taste
  4. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for around 25 mins
  5. Turn the heat up, then add cornstarch and water mixture, and cook until it thickens
  6. Cook potatoes, and mash with the butter, milk, salt and pepper
  7. Pour beef mixture into an 8 x 8 (square) dish
  8. Add mashed potatoes to the top, and score with a fork (for crispy peaks), or add cheese
  9. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 until the top is brown and crispy

Freezes well, just thaw in the fridge, and throw in the oven when you're ready to eat!

2 comments:

  1. I should make this for dinner next week! My husband loves cottage and shepherds pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO like you. I also make this and call it Shepherd's pie, no matter what meat is inside. I actually made a crockpot version of it the week before we headed up to my inlaws!

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited whenever anyone comments. Share your thoughts!