Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, November 4, 2013

Cheddar Bay Biscuits


Now that the cooler weather is here (to stay), we are in need of more "comfort" food than before.

Although I didn't grow up eating chicken and biscuits, I sure wish I had! 

I had heard great things about the "cheddar bay biscuits" from Red Lobster (a seafood chain restaurant here in the US), but not being a seafood person AT ALL, I had no way to sample this phenomenon without making them myself.

I found a recipe here here and followed it for the "from scratch" directions. However, if you feel like using a shortcut, I probably won't judge you.  Well, not too much anyway.

TheFutureFoodCritic REALLY liked these biscuits. He dipped his biscuits in his bowl of chicken and veges (I used my chicken pot pie filling) and happily snarfed it.  I do love a toddler-snarf-worthy dish that appeals to the adults in the house too.

Anwayyyyy. Here's the recipe!

I got 10 biscuits out of this recipe.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted cold butter
  • 1 cup milk  
  • 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • OPTIONAL: dried herbs of your choice (I used an italian blend)
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F (see my conversion cheat sheet for C).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Cut in the butter with a knife of pastry cutter until it is well blended.
  3. Add the cheese. Add milk and mix until JUST combined (don’t overmix)
  4. Scoop onto a baking sheet (I used a cookie scoop, you could use a spoon), and bake for 10-12 minutes.
  5. While the biscuits are baking in the oven, melt butter, add the garlic powder and mix thoroughly.
  6. Right after removing the biscuits from the oven, brush butter-garlic mixture on the tops.
  7. Serve immediately.


I forgot to get a pic after I brushed the butter mixture on!