This is a very fast, very easy dish to throw together on a weeknight. It was originally intended as a side dish, but I thought that if I added chicken - I could totally get away with calling it "dinner". And I did.
I've made this several times since I first saw it, and it's become extremely popular in my house. I have used both regular rice, brown, basmati and jasmine (using up my pantry) all with great results.
Both TFC and TFFC1 chow down on this like crazy. Maybe the cheese? I don't know, and I don't care - they're both eating a ton of zucchini with this (never mind the butter and cheese... ahem).
The best part? 20 minutes. DINNER'S READY!!
SOURCE: Adapted only a little bit (doubled, added more zucchini and added chicken, less butter)
from Taste of Home Cooking and Pink Parsley
CHEESY ZUCCHINI RICE
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cup long-grain white rice (or use any other rice you like, you will need to adjust cooking time though for brown)
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium zucchini, grated on the large holes of a cheese grater then wrung dry in a clean kitchen towel
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- OPTIONAL: 2 cups of cooked, diced chicken breast
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Stir in the rice, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, add the butter and zucchini, and cover.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes, then stir to incorporate. Stir in the cheese, and chicken breast (if using), season liberally with salt and pepper, and serve.