See my other DIY posts: hamburger buns, amaretto, goldfish crackers, taco seasoning, apple sauce, limoncello and a few others (laundry detergent, anyone?), I thought this was a good one to make too.
Since having the little guy, we have been a little more conscious of what we eat, since he copies everything we do. That means - if we eat processed food and junk, so will he.
I've always wanted to make peanut butter, but I had almonds, not peanuts - so almond butter it was. You guys, it's sooooo neat to see this come together!
Okay, here's what you do:
- 2lb unsalted plain almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the almonds in a single layer, and bake for 10-15 minutes, mixing them around a couple of times during roasting.
- With the motor running on your food processor, pour handfuls at a time through the food chute. It will look a lot like almond meal first up. Keep going!
- Eventually, it will go from almond meal, to a more butter-like consistency. Use a spatula every minute or so to scrape down the edges.
Go from this: