|Amaretto is a sweet, almond-flavoured, Italian liqueur|
We have a cleaning lady who comes every other week (please don't hate me). I pink-puffy-heart her. So that she'll stay, and not ever ever leave me, I made her a little treat. I HAPPEN to know she loves Amaretto, so I went looking for a recipe, and found this one from Erica's Kitchen Adventures.
It took about... 10 minutes to make, and made two of these little bottles. And hopefully a cleaning lady for life.
Could be great for Christmas gifts too!
See my other DIY posts: hamburger buns, goldfish crackers, taco seasoning, apple sauce, limoncello and laundry detergent
Source: Erica's Kitchen Adventures
Labels from Cottage Industrialist
1 c water
1 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
2 c vodka
2 T almond extract
2 t vanilla extract
Sterilize your bottles. Combine water and sugars in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until mixture is boiling, and all of the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
Stir in the vodka, almond and vanilla extracts and then store in the sterilized, sealed bottles.
What to do with Amaretto?
Aside from making cocktails, you could:
- Add to desserts, including ice cream, which enhances the flavour of the dessert with almonds and complements chocolate. Tiramisu is often flavoured with either real amaretto or alcohol-free amaretto aroma.
- Add to whipping cream for an almond flavor
- Add to pancake batter!
If you MUST make cocktails (and I suggest that you must), try these!
- French Connection. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Cognac and ice cubes
- Godfather. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Scotch and ice cubes.
- Godmother. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Vodka and ice cubes.
- Godchild. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Cream and ice cubes.
- Toasted Almond. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Kahlúa, Cream and ice cubes.
- Bocce Ball. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Orange juice, Club soda and ice cubes.
- Cuban Breeze. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Vodka, Pineapple juice and ice cubes.
- Lounge Lizard. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Dark Rum, Cola and ice cubes.
- Amaretto Sour. Ingredients: Amaretto liqueur, Sweet and Sour Mix.