Okay, so it's a little bit strange to be posting a soup recipe in the middle of summer. HOWEVER, the two people who read my blog live in New Zealand - and it's winter there. Hi Mum! This soup is intended to be on the "lighter" side, but you can fatten it up easily. Ha. I made it and kept it around this weekend. Weekends tend to be a little more casual - with people getting out of bed at varying times - hunger strikes all of us at different times. This was great with a hunk of bread. Hope you enjoy!
Source: Adapted from Cooking Light as seen on Cheese Curd in Paradise
BROCCOLI AND CHEESE SOUP
- 1 tsp olive oil (or cooking spray)
- 1 cup chopped onion (it's about one medium onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1lb (450g) fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light) (OR a couple of handfuls of grated cheddar cheese will work too)
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and garlic; saute until tender.
Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper.
Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Use an immersion blender to process until smooth.