Friday, June 15, 2012

Recipe Swap: Beer and Onion Braised Chicken (involves bacon, too)


A cooking group I belong to has a "blogger's choice" swap every couple of weeks. I've been pretty unreliable with my blogging  (getting better though!) since Hayden was born, so I didn't join in because I just couldn't commit. I'm getting my mojo back though, so... here we go.

Basically how it works is, you are paired with another blogger - and you get to pick anything you want to make from their blog. I was matched with Ashley of Cheese Curd in Paradise.  Lots of great recipes to choose from (including a very nice looking Grapefruit Margarita), but ultimately - I chose to make Beer & Onion Braised Chicken because it just sounds great.  Beer? Good. Onions? Good. BACON? Good!!!!

The recipe doesn't say what to do with the bacon in the recipe, so we just put it on top of the finished dish.
Anyway - here it is!


BEER AND ONION BRAISED CHICKEN

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 3 strips of center cut bacon, diced
  • 12 oz beer (ours was suspiciously less a swig or two)
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbl brown sugar (I would reduce this next time to 1 Tablespoon)
  • 1 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 Tbl butter
  • 1/4 flour, for dredging
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cook bacon in a large skillet till crisp. Remove and set aside. 
  2. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge, both sides, in flour. (I seasoned the flour and used a ziplock to coat the chicken)
  3. Add butter and oil to skillet that was used to cook the bacon in. 
  4. Place chicken into pan and brown both sides. 
  5. Add sliced onion, beer, beef broth, garlic, sugar, and bay leaves. 
  6. Simmer for 30-35 minutes. Plate chicken and top with onion beer sauce and bacon.


7 comments:

  1. Happy you enjoyed it! I didn't say what to do with the bacon! What a goof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another one I'll pass on to my husband, thank you - to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooking with beer is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beer, onions, bacon? Yep, sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...beer and onions and bacon. Sounds delicious!

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great! Bacon makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What would I do without your Blog? Helps set the menu for the week and this is definately on mine in the coming days. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited whenever anyone comments. Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...