Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, May 21, 2012

Pressure cooking/Freezer Cooking

Another "not really a recipe, more of an idea of what I do" post.

I'm a freezer queen from way back. I love being able to pull things out of the freezer and have a great meal on hand at any time.


I use my pressure cooker to make large batches of things in short amounts of time. I use it for rice, steel cut oatmeal, chicken (whole), and potatoes.  I'm sure I will find more uses for it in the future.


Anyway - I have a digital cooker, so it's a little more idiot-proof and requires slightly less respect than the regular stove top one.


When I have  a bag of potatoes about to go bad, I peel them all, cut them - and throw them in the cooker with a small amount of water in the bottom (about a cup).


Mashed potatoes
I put the timer on for 10 minutes (once pressure is reached) and let it go.

Release the pressure, and drain the potatoes.


Mash as usual, and freeze in freezer-grade bags (I use a food saver).


These freeze great, and reheat like you made them that day. Major timesaver. (Just thaw then pierce the package and microwave about 5 mins, stir and serve)


You can, of course, use a regular pot on your stovetop - but it does take longer.



Rice
Freeze in ziplocks. Don't bother to thaw, just throw in the microwave and heat until steaming hot. 
Steel Cut Oatmeal
1 cup of steel cut oats
4 cups of water
a pinch of salt


Optional:
peeled, chopped apple pieces
cinnamon
brown sugar

Combine ingredients in pressure cooker pot, select high pressure and set 15 minutes cook time. (It took my pressure cooker 10 minutes to come up to pressure).

I then portion it out for breakfasts that I can grab and reheat at work. A bit of milk, and we're good!


3 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for old potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works very well in my house. Never short of an old spud or two...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! Thank you. You'll probably be getting a pingback from my blog soon about this idea :)

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited whenever anyone comments. Share your thoughts!