Monday, May 14, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Chicken

No photo – the ones I took weren’t good, and I didn’t have time to spend on getting a great shot (aka – a chorus of CAN WE EAT NOW PLEAAAAASE from my family)

Ever had a jalapeno popper? They are a delicious, cheesy, spicy, gooey treat very popular in my household.  There are a lot of recipes for this around the web, but I took my inspiration*  from Mary Ellen, of Mary Ellen’s Cooking Creations who got it from The Cookaholic Wife

I double dip/crumb, because I think the thick, crunchy crumb is more reminiscent of a real jalapeno popper.

*ie, I saw the recipe – but then totally butchered it, so it’s really not much like the original .

JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS:
·         Two large chicken breasts
·         Salt and Pepper
·         One (or two) jalapenos, minced finely (if you like a little heat – leave the seeds in)
·         3 oz cream cheese, softened
·         ½ Cup of grated cheese (cheddar, jack, colby – whichever is your favourite – pepper jack would be awesome too)
·         A pinch or two of red pepper flakes to taste (red chili flakes for the Aussies/Kiwis) (leave this out if you are a bit of a wimp)
·         2 Tablespoons cilantro, minced(fresh coriander leaves for the Aussies/Kiwis)
·         2 eggs, lightly beaten with a splash of water
·         1 Cup Panko breadcrumbs
·         1 Cup regular breadcrumbs
·         Vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS:
1.       Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2.       Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper
3.       Mix the jalapenos, cream cheese, cheese, red pepper flakes and cilantro in a bowl until it is well combined. Throw a dash of salt and pepper in there too
4.       Using a super sharp knife, make a pocket in the chicken breasts
5.       Divide your cream cheese mixture between the chicken breasts and close as best you can. (I used to use toothpicks, but found if I was gentle enough in cooking them, I didn’t need them.)
6.       In shallow plates – put panko in one, regular breadcrumbs in another, and the beaten eggs in another
7.       Dip the chicken breasts in egg, then regular breadcrumbs, then dip in egg again, and then the panko
8.       Heat vegetable oil in a fry pan, and lightly brown the chicken
9.       Place the browned chicken into a baking dish – and cook for around 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 170 (take them out to rest – they will reach 180 while resting)
10.   Yell at your husband to set the table, and then dig in. We ate this with some veges and a baked potato, but you can serve it with whatever you want!

3 comments:

  1. I'm giving this to my husband to make, thank you! We love poppers, we love chicken, what a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this for our family a time or two also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MINE! This is so on the menu...Yum

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited whenever anyone comments. Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...