This was a quick dinner after getting home late, and getting the FutureFoodCritic bathed, fed and put in bed.
The Teenager and I were able to throw it together in under 30 minutes, which is the criteria for recipes on nights like this!
It has a really nice lime flavor, but I would have kicked up the coconut milk a little, and would probably use coconut cream next time. I did kick up the curry powder, because that's how I roll. For reference, I used Penzey's Maharaja Curry Powder.
SOURCE: Meal Planning 101
COCONUT LIME CHICKEN WITH CHILLIES
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp curry powder (I used 1 and a half Tablespoons)
- 1 14 oz can light or regular coconut milk
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (the original recipe says optional, I say - not optional. Add it.) (Aussies and Kiwis - I'm talking about coriander here)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and garlic and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the curry powder and cook, stirring for 1 minute, until it is fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, chiles, lime juice and zest, bring to a simmer, and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, stir in the green onions and cilantro.
- Serve over rice. (I used basmati that I had in the freezer that I made here)
- Garnish with a little cilantro