Even the almost-3-year-old ate this, happily. Win!
The key here has to be the homemade alfredo sauce. Seriously, don't cheat and use one from a jar. I will be very disappointed in you! Ha, just kidding. Do what you must, but at the end of the day - the homemade sauce is what sends this dish into the fabulous zone.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
- ½ cup butter
- 2oz cream cheese
- 2 cups half and half or milk (if you use milk, bump the cream cheese up an ounce. You could use cream, but hi there, blocked arteries!!)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano, basil, or Italian seasoning
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (more, to taste)
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1.5 cups baby spinach, chopped finely.
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1.5 cups shredded Mozzarella, or cheese of your choice
Make the sauce first:
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute
- Add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the half & half or milk.
- Season with salt and pepper and oregano, bring to a simmer (don’t boil!)and whisk frequently until the sauce thickens about 15 minutes.
- Add the parmesan and whisk until melted and blended.
- Set aside
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse the noodles with cold water and dry them a little on a paper towel to make them easier to work with
- While the noodles cook, combine the chicken, spinach, and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Spread about half a cup of the alfredo sauce in your baking dish (I used an 8 x 8 one, would use a bigger one next time)
- Onto each noodle, spread filling, sauce and some mozzarella, and roll up.
- Place each one seam side down into your baking dish.
- Top with remaining alfredo sauce, and mozzarella.
- Bake at 350 degrees, for around 30 minutes – until heated through and cheese is bubbling.
- Serve to your starving and whining family (who will begin their campaign for dinner!! now!! hungry!! as soon as they smell the sauce cooking)
Source: Kylee Cooks